A video shared online shows the moment a gas explosion occurred in a hostel at the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka while a student of the school was on Facebook Live. In the Facebook live video, the student could be seen gushing over her natural hair when the explosion suddenly rocked the building.
The incident which occurred on Tuesday, October 5 at the El-Shaddai lodge, led to the death of a female student. It was gathered that one of the occupants of the room was making popcorn when the gas exploded.
An eyewitness said while some of those who lived in the lodge were able to remove some of their properties, others weren’t as the fire spread so fast. Firefighters were also said to have responded on time.
Another Facebook user, Mazi Michaels Orlukwu-Nyesom Nwadibia Udochukwu revealed that the body of one of the students who was trapped after the incident was discovered in the evening.