PDP presidential hopeful, Mohammed Hayatudeen, has pledged to reform governance and restore hope to Nigerians, if he is elected president in 2023.
Speaking at a meeting with the PDP delegates from Cross River State in Calabar, Hayatudeen, who referred himself to be a pan-Nigerian from his experience living in other parts of the country, told his audience that he will bring to bear his years of experience in the banking sector to achieve this goal of making the country compete with countries like UAE, Singapore and others.
Read Full Transcript from the meeting:
- greetings to the party’s executive committee, the former deputy governor of the state, distinguished delegates, ladies and gentlemen. What a beautiful place. I’m truly delighted this afternoon to come here together with my campaign team to address our great distinguished delegates.
- My name, as you’ve been told is Mohammad Hayatudeen. I come from Maiduguri in Borno state. Even though I was born there, I actually grew up in other parts of the country. I went to elementary school in Zaria, secondary in plateau state and subsequently I went to Ahmadu Bello University. I then moved to Kaduna, where I worked and I went to Lagos. Where I’ve been living and working. So, in excerpt I’m a Nigerian and I have a pan-Nigerian view.
- I do know that cross river state is actually the rock that has helped PDP to get recognized. Your former governors are some of my very close associates and friends. Old Governor Donald Duke and also governor Liyel Imoke. We’ve been friends, associates and collaborators. When they were rendering their stewardship to this state. I was then chief executive officer of one of the major firms in this country but I was also chairman of the Nigerian (inaudible)
- We have been summoned to render help to the government (inaudible) and we have seen it as one of our top priorities to render assistance to such a great state made up of these beautiful women.
- Thank you so much. This is a lot power because women actually define our future. The future of our community. The future of our children and women are our mothers. They console us, they nourish us. They raise us to become responsible. I am here to tell you that I am fully prepared to serve the people of this country if given the opportunity to be elected in the office in the February of 2023. The aim is getting the ticket of the party.
- Let me just say that I have been abroad and many places around this country. I am an economist by the way, a developed banker and a commercial industrial banker. I have also served in many other places the private sector the public sector and the civil society as well and I’ve been on three presidential advisory councils during the dr. Goodluck Ebele Johnathan I was chairman of the Nigerian ministry group. I was a key member of the 2010 committee and president Yaradua had appointed me to supervise Nigeria’s (inaudible). So, I bring to the job a very diverse and rich experience. Experience that is founded in understanding and nurturing situations because at the age of 30 I was given the responsibility to manage the largest business conglomerate, South of the Sahara Desert.
- We had a hundred and forty-five companies under our group and every single industry was represented within our group portfolio. During my period of service, I was given the mandate to reengineer the institutions and all the subsidiaries and associate companies and prepare it for the challenges and demands of the 21st century, this was around 1988/89 when I was a pretty young guy, I did that successfully and then in the very early 1990’s I was given the responsibility to turn around a very sick financial institution.
- That institution was actually a complete failure and the federal government at the time wanted to actually give it to the undertaker, so in the final analysis in the wisdom under the Babangida administration, it was decided that this institution should be given to a changed management expert a turn around manager to see whether there were prospects to utterly relent it from its ashes and we were able to do that successfully over a period of three years.
- I was given responsibility and within 3 years we were actually able to turn it around and make it one of the leading commercial and investment banking institutions in the country, so I ran it for a period of 15 years first as managing director and CEO and for the last five years as chairman and CEO and subsequently I have since established my own investment institution in lagos, I’ve been working and living in and out of lagos for the last 32 years since I went to that firm in January 1990
– In the course of my academic and corporate career I have seen the length and breath of this country and I know and you know that this nation is one of the amazing nations on earth because it is bestowed by the blessings of God Almighty. There is no considerable resource that any nation can yearn for that you will not find here.
The second thing I would like to say based on my experience on traveling and working around the world. I know no other nation that has a terrific set of humans with a great work culture and an entrepreneur disposition. So this is a great country.
When I remember and look back growing up Nigeria was a heaven because the average Nigerian anywhere were able to fend for themselves. They had some access to quality education quality healthcare and basic needs of life were easily accessible for the families as well. Like pipe borne water, electricity etc Nigeria had parks for families to go and relax. All those little things that make life more meaningful and more competent.
If you look back some 30 or 40 years ago some people in this room were not born because they are the youth. It is important that people understand history and to know that life has not always been like this life was a lot better and life can get much better if we have the right kind of leadership in this country.
I am here to tell you that people wherever they were, people felt reasonable safe and secure in the comfort of their homes. As a child growing up or a young adult you didn’t need to lock your house. The story today is very different. I am here to tell the young people today that life was a lot better.
The year 2023 is going to be the most important and the most strategic in this history of this country, why? Because of a simple reason. Nigeria is a failing disastrously we are on the brink there is complete lack of unity and the lack of confidence in the federal government and therefore the contract between the people who elected the people in office. That confidence has broken down completely. Therefore, the kind of decision that we make is consequential.
I am here to tell you that if I do get the mandate to be the flag bearer for the party, I will do a couple of very important things. I am here to promise you a couple of important things.
One is I’m an economist by training a turned around manager and a student of strategy. Nigeria’s problem is an economic one.
I think the cancer that is killing us and invading the rest of our body is an economic one in nature. So, if you go after the symptoms without going after the cause and dealing with it chances are that you will go after the wrong thing. Whether it’s the social problems, national security problems or our foreign policy crises, energy crises. Whatever it is, it is simply because we haven’t gotten economy right.
As somebody who was regarded as a company doctor, I have repaired a lot of damaged institutions successfully. To actually deal with this patient by first and foremost I’ll stop the bleeding by making sure the patient is stabilized and get on the operation table to be able to start working. The second thing which is the medium-term plan is to get that patient to start running.
What I mean is I will do everything within my power to ensure I’m able to remove Nigerians out of the depth of poverty into a new era of economic prosperity by making sure that every Nigerian has access to a decent quality of life. So even security of Nigerians is so fundamental but it is not enough for Nigeria to start running but we need to go for gold by running an Olympic race. What I would like to do by my third year in office is to make Nigeria very competitive and make it one of the big power houses of the emerging market to be able to compete with other countries like Singapore, North Korea and Dubai.
Dubai for goodness’ sake was running out of oil in the early 1980s completely. And the lord converted it to a heaven in the desert without any natural resources so this can be done. The second thing I’d like to do is social services. Everything to do with empowerment of the youth and the empowerment of women. So women can have their rightful place in this society. If there is gender equality it will open up opportunities for women that they are able to break the glass ceiling.
Socially what we would like to do is reform our broken education system because you know five to six hundred years ago people relied on their muscles people relied on their raw energy, to go to the farm and till today to make progress in this world you have to have knowledge.
So, what we have in our heads and our minds is what we want just in the 21st century not we can physically do by dwelling and sweating even though that is important because we have computers and technology and that we have to bring to a knowledgeable society and the only way to achieve knowledge is to reform our schools especially tertiary education. I would also like to say to you that health now is a very important subject. If you do not agree with me, just go back to December 2020, with the advent of the corona virus pandemic which in America alone has taken out one million lives.
One million lives is almost equivalent to about 17 stadiums of 40 thousand people. It’s a lot of people. Nobody needs to lose that number of people. Nigeria was ill prepared we were just fortunate. Even though our government has also tried, I must admit but the thing is Nigeria needs to become a scientific society and that we are able to manufacture our own drugs and do our own research and anticipate diseases before they become a problem.
Now beyond the social services, I am aware that in places like this environmental pollution is a huge problem and there is no responsible government and certainly not my own government that will stand by idly and watch corporate institutions polluting the environment. Making our waters unsafe even for drinking or aquamarine life. We are going to work vigorously to enact rules and regulations and enforce existing ones to ensure that people who live in the river land areas are able to have a safe and secure life.
Two more issues I would like to mention. One is that the world is moving ahead almost at the speed of light because of the advent of information and technology. Things are changing every single day and changing very rapidly. The world is not waiting for any nation, Nigeria not even the United States or the whole of Europe have been powered to change the direction of the world.
We all have to adjust to where the world is travelling and language is important for us to be responsible players in this world of ours and to do those things that will make Nigeria a very modern society that makes it a resourceful member of the global community.
The last issue I would like to raise with you is national security. The issue of security has been a major problem in this country for almost 20 or 25 years it became very deep and very severe. I would like to say to you like I said in the beginning there is no amount of guns and bullets that can deal with this issue unless you do two or three very important things.
No 1. You need to give Nigeria back to the people. What do I mean? What I mean is Nigeria is very divided and we need to unify our people. There should be no room for nepotism of any kind in this country. There should be no room for tribalism or regionalism. Every Nigerian is a son and daughter of God almighty. Every Nigerian has equal rights to every other Nigerian. You do not want a president who is held up in aso rock like a lion in a den you want a president who is actually coming out, walking with the people, running with the people and mingling with them.
Look at Joe Biden he wasn’t given the president for nothing. It wasn’t to have fun. It was for if there’s a fire somewhere or one American is killed or there’s a major crises like hurricane. Within a few hours he is actually out from coast to coast and America is a huge country. Many times, the size of this country. It takes about 9 hours to travel from one side of America to the other. If you’re flying to Hawaii. So that is what leadership is about, it is about stewardship, it is about being a servant to the people. So, it is my intention to give you economic security, social security, political security, energy security and give you peace stability and progress. To do all of these things by ensuring we run a system that will give you justice and fairness.