Smiling Hearts Initiatives International (SHI) is a non-governmental, nonprofit organization founded in Nigeria and has been operational since 2016 as Zumunchi Hearts Initiative International before its official registration with the CAC on the 10th October 2018 as Smiling Hearts Initiative International (SHI Int.). SHI Int. is committed to immediate humanitarian relief and support to those in urgent need and also protects dignity of persons affected by natural deserter, violence crime or any other emergency. Independent, private and nonprofit, Nigerian base NGO SHI Int’l (operating under the Nigerian law) respects a strict political and religious impartiality, and operates following principles of non-discrimination, transparency, according to its core values: Compassion, Equality, Diversity, Integrity, Team Work and Responsiveness
SHI Int’l teams are devoted to supporting vulnerable communities throughout the world and accompanying them in building a better future by providing a response adapted to specific needs. We provide aid to populations affected by crisis using an approach that is local and global, multidisciplinary and adapted to each context. By ensuring the link between Emergency, Rehabilitation and Development. SHI Int’l teams guaranty that interventions made in a situation of crisis are useful and sustainable, because only long term support – by remaining in the area post emergency and involving communities – can end the poverty cycle and accompany populations on the road to better society and enhancing good development strongly focusing in the sectors of Education, Protection,WASH, CCCM, Livelihood, Health, Shelter, Psycho-social support, NFI, Food security/GFD, Community Development in the area of operations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Officer
Locations: Maiduguri – Borno and Yobe
Employment Type: Contract
- The post holder is responsible for the planning and implementation of comprehensive package of CMAM program in the assigned location in collaboration with the Nutrition Project Manager, as well as the Health and Hygiene and sanitation staff in the location.
Key Areas of Accountability
Planning and Implementation of CMAM-TSFP:
- Lead/support in the planning, quantification and selection of nutrition services sites establishment, and operations.
- Ensure the registration of new MAM cases by following strictly the protocols and provide individual nutrition counselling based on the nutrition status and evolution of the beneficiary, provide information on the TSFP, reason for admission and the treatment protocol for the new and old cases.
- Analyze deeply the nutrition evolution of each beneficiary, identify potential discrepancy and correct them accordingly.
- Ensure the smooth flow of the beneficiaries from the triage to the exit of the TSFP.
- Participate to the forecasting and provision of the nutrition products and other supplies for each site in a timely manner.
- Ensure proper, clear and accurate data recording on registration books and nutrition cards.
- Demonstrate the preparation of the ration for each new admission.
- Ensure that all program materials are well maintained.
- Check the hygiene at each stage of the TSFP distribution.
- Ensure all Children 6-59 month in the IMAM programme receive care and treatment in accordance with IMAM Guidelines, including proper taking of anthropometric measurements and proper referral and receive food/treatment according to the agreed protocol.
- Supervise CNWs at nutrition services sites on weekly basis.
- Facilitate and organize referral of sick children to the stabilization center and ensure effective follow up of these children.
- Organize the implementation of follow-up protocols requiring community outreach on a weekly basis with OTP patients,
- Assist the community Nutrition workers implementing nutrition activities to develop monthly work plans.
- Ensure proper management supplies, monitor and report on the stock levels.
Capacity building of CNWs, Community Based Distributors and Community Volunteers:
- Identify needs, plan and organize training for, CNWs and community volunteers on CMAM,
- Participate in the development of training curriculum and tools for nutrition training,
- Liaise with nutrition program manager and other partner in selecting participants for trainings,
- Liaise SPHCD and other partners in ensuring that CMAM and other nutrition activities are implemented as per the national protocol,
- Maintain a data base/report of the trained and active health workers, CNWs & community Volunteers in the community.
Recording and Reporting:
- Compile and submit to the Nutrition Manager the relevant weekly and monthly reports for the TSFP activities across all locations.
- Check the coherence between the stock report and the attendance of TSFP beneficiaries.
- Make sure monthly donor reports are submitted timely and in good quality.
- Report challenges and update to SHI management to ensure prompt action is taken.
Coordination and Collaboration:
- Liaise and establish strong links with existing community structures including women groups, community development committees, youth groups and religious leaders.
- Ensure the coordination, referral and linkage of cases across different partners and/or across CMAM components.
- Work closely with the Nutrition LGA Focal person under SPHCDA and ministry of health.
- Participate in nutrition coordination meetings.
- Attend Nutrition sector coordination meetings to
- Maintain the full represents of Smiling Hearts Initiatives International at different partners and community level.
- Attend community sensitization, program review and feedback meetings.
- Any other duty as assigned to by the line manager.
- BSc in Health, Nutrition, Nursing or related field with a minimum of two year relevant experience for BSc holder and three years related experience for Diploma holder.
- Understanding of community management of acute malnutrition
- Computer skills knowledge and applications especially Ms Word and Excel
- Experience in planning and organizing activities in a variety of locations
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach local staff and community workers.
- Experience of providing hands-on in-service training
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and representational and communications skills are essential, and a team-oriented work style is a necessity.
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness to be respectful, kind, sensitive and empathize with children and their careers
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions
- Strong report writing skill
- Understanding of local language and culture is mandatory.
- Understanding of English language (Listening, speaking, reading, writing).
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Smiling Hearts Initiatives Int. values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Deadline: 30th March, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: SHI is an equal opportunity organization with high regards to Gender, as such qualified female candidate are highly encouraged to apply.
Leave a Reply